Saturday, November 10, 2012

Saturday Book Diver Interviews Sinn from Nobody Rides for Free


Good afternoon and welcome the Saturday Book Diver. Every weekend I magically dive into fictional worlds to bring you interviews with exciting, sexy and sometimes dangerous characters.

Today I’m standing just outside the North American shrine, one of the most beautiful fairy grottos in the world--at least that’s what I’ve heard. At the moment all I can see is a cave wall, but I’m told that once my guide arrives, the glamour protecting this magical realm will disappear and I’ll see it as it truly is. The Queen has given me special permission to interview a woman named Sinn--the subject of Nobody Rides for Free by Sara Jay.

Here comes my guide now--one of the Queen’s special guards. I can’t actually see his face since he’s wearing a helmet, but the rest of him looks great in form-fitting body armor. I have to pause for a moment because he’s about to search me (and I’m almost looking forward to it).

* * *

All right, I’m back. As a character interviewer, I’m no stranger to the miraculous, but this Fae world is even more beautiful than I imagined. No one can describe it as perfectly as Sara Jay does in this quote from Nobody Rides for Free:

Glittering gems adorned the rounded ceiling, and the walls themselves shone with precious gold and metals unknown to mankind. Azure, rolling rivers ran through the grotto. An occasional kelpie could be seen peeking out of the water, or playfully splashing a passing fae. Tiny asrais flew in the air, while the occasional banshee or phoenix swooped down over their heads. Hundreds of pathways meandered off into various chambers, many of which would be filled by the visiting fae that night. Pillars twisted in exotic formations lined the actual shrine where the Great Queen herself sat.

Right now I can see those pillars, but the Queen isn’t there. She must be off somewhere attending royal affairs.

My hunky guide doesn’t talk much, but he’s leading me to a riverside tavern. Inside, the bartender and several patrons glance at me. The place isn’t very busy at this time of day, but my interviewee is waiting at a fireside table.

SBD: Hi, Sinn. It’s nice to meet you. Thank you for agreeing to the interview.

Sinn: It is my pleasure, human.

SBD: This is a fascinating world. Would you tell us a little more about it and what your place is here?

Sinn: Normally we do not allow humans here, but I have something special in mind for you… You are sitting in our North American shrine, where the Queen takes tribute every year. I am not a very old faery, which means that my tribute must be great in order to retain her favor.

SBD: When I walked in, I noticed the elaborate shrine for the Queen. [At this time I glance nervously toward the guard who has stepped away to order a drink at the bar. I’m not sure how questions regarding the Queen will be received here, so I decide to tread carefully.] Tell me the truth, is she a control freak?

Sinn: I would not make such remarks if I were you! She may have had enough blood tributes this year, but that does not stop her from taking more on her own.

SBD: [That warning makes me feel a little weak, but it’s not the first time I’ve conducted interviews in dangerous conditions. Still, I decide to hold back any further remarks about the Queen’s character.] I’ve heard some stories about you and a guy named Daka. What’s going on?

Sinn: Daka is my moshini, what you humans might call a soulmate. He and I desire to unite as one, but our queen forbids it until we have her permission, as all moshinis must obtain prior to completion. It is very frustrating.

SBD: How about the three bikers? How do they fit into the story?

Sinn: I can tell you about my foray with these humans to satiate my need that Daka cannot yet fulfill. They were most satisfying, in every sense of the word. Of course, now that I have told you, I will have to wipe your memory before you leave—or simply give you to another faery as a slave…

SBD: My time here in this world is almost up, but before I go, is there anything you’d like to add?

Sinn: I did promise my Daka a human treat as a reward for understanding my own adventures… Are you certain you do not wish to stay?

SBD: Tempting, but I have another interview scheduled in a couple of hours. Last, do you have a favorite excerpt from Nobody Rides for Free that you’d like to share?

Sinn: Green Eyes spoke up for the first time, and his voice -- though still notably human --  slid over her like a dark whisper across stone. “Nobody rides for free.”
“What was that?” Sinn asked, perplexed. Surely they didn’t expect tribute from her as the queen did? Humans didn’t even know of such things.
“You heard him, darlin’,” said Cowboy, his accent more annoying now. “Ass, gas, or grass -- nobody rides for free.”
“I see,” she replied, thinking that she should just go ahead and kill them. But then she’d have to drag all three bikes herself, which, though not impossible, wouldn’t be easy with the queen’s insistence of non-flight transportation. “Of course. I can buy your gas at the next station.”
Green Eyes snorted, as if he felt her no longer worth transporting. The other two seemed like they were still game.
“Okay, little lady, then hop on,” said Cowboy, and he presented her with a clunky old helmet.
She almost laughed at the thought of falling off the motorcycle and hurting herself. She’d flutter to the ground and watch them die without much interest, then lug them all to the shrine with her. Instead, she maintained her human cover, adjusting the helmet over her long black curls, and got behind Cowboy.
As soon as he revved his engine up, she felt desire stirring again. Her breasts, pressed against the back of his leather jacket -- something that might normally make her gag -- began to tingle, and she could feel the rough texture against her nipples through her silken shift.
What trickery was this? No human had ever made her feel so -- so lustful! Only Daka could do that.
Daka… Just thinking about him made her even more aroused. The vibration of the bike between her legs made her imagine being beneath him. His slick green skin would bob over hers, his spiraled tattoos rendering her dizzy as he dipped himself into her body over and over again…
Oh, Daka! She could feel her release building and Cowboy must have sensed it because he laughed a little and grabbed her knee. “We’ll get some ass out of you yet, princess,” he drawled.
Though she knew that he assumed she couldn’t hear him over the roar of the engine, her faery ears made out his words perfectly. Indeed, Cowboy? She thought. We shall see about that.
But as they traveled into the night, she began to think about his words. They wanted ass from her, did they? She, too, wanted some relief, after all. They were not of the fae. They wouldn’t break her contract.
What of Daka, though? What would he think? He considered humans nothing more than toys as well, and her playing with them would likely not upset him. Especially, she suddenly thought, if she managed to help him play with a human or two of his own later.
She felt a real smile return to her face. She was going to play with some humans tonight.


SBD: Thank you so much for the interview, Sinn! It was fantastic getting a first-hand look at your world!

For more information about Nobody Rides for Free, stop by
Visit Sara Jay on Facebook at

No comments:

Post a Comment