Monday, April 21, 2014

Decadent Decade Monday - Changeling Past with Jade Buchanan


Changeling is celebrating 10 years of great books. I'm B.J. McCall and I'll be journeying to Changeling Past and revisiting the first books of my fellow Changeling authors. You're invited to travel with me. Today the notable Jade Buchanan is telling us about her first Changeling book, Felidae 1: Laithe’s Pride.

Laithe's Pride is available in the Felidae (Collection).



I tell everyone this, but I actually started writing as a dare. Back in 2006 I was a reviewer and my review editor asked me if I’d ever thought about writing because she liked the flow of my reviews. I remember telling her that I couldn’t do that, but I admired anyone who could. She dared me to write something and said that if it sucked I didn’t have to show anyone. Not too long after that I was sitting in the hot seat at the dentist and my mind started to wander. I thought how funny it would be if someone from another world interpreted what was going on. Would he think it was torture? Routine? What if it was his mate going through that?

When it came time to figure out what my alien would look like I took some inspiration from one of my favorite Disney characters. I have an undeniable crush on the Beast. I know, it’s not much of a secret if you’ve read any of my books, but there’s just something about a tall, strong, furry man with a hint of vulnerability that does it for me. I can’t deny it; the Beast was definitely my inspiration in writing my hero. My aliens became a race of anthropomorphic people that are descended from an ancestor that resembled the big cats on earth. The Lion-like Leo’s rule, the Tiger-like Tigris are dangerous but solitary, the panther-like Pardus are born to be protectors, and the Lynx would prefer just to be left alone.

Felidae 1: Laithe’s Pride started off with my hero sharing an experience with his human mate where she’s being “tortured” at the dentist and immediately sets out to find her. Poor Rowan has her work cut out for her trying to decide what to do with Laithe, the burly Leo who intrigues her, and Fahd, Laithe’s black Pardus second in command who wants in on the action.

After a friend read it and gave me a thumbs up on the tale I decided to submit it to Changeling. When I got the acceptance email for my first book, I was at work and I needed to share how excited I was. My sister worked with me at the time and I ended up following her into the bathroom. She kicked me out after telling me she was very happy for me and we would talk about it later! LOL!

And the rest is history :)




No comments:

Post a Comment