Sunday, October 11, 2009

Decadence by Dawn Montgomery






Decadence
by Dawn Montgomery


Cover art by Bryan Keller
ISBN: 978-1-60521-321-7
Genre(s): Paranormal
Theme(s): Vampires, Magic and Mayhem
Series: Sex and Chocolate
Length: Novella




Blurb:
The un-life sucks when you're the only female vampire in the world allergic to chocolate.


When a wizard with a penchant for kitchen magic comes to town, however, things take a delicious and sinful turn. Especially when he puts himself on the menu.


Chocolate goes well with... everything.



Excerpt:

This e-book file contains sexually explicit scenes and adult language which some may find offensive and which is not appropriate for a young audience. Changeling Press E-Books are for sale to adults, only, as defined by the laws of the country in which you made your purchase. Please store your files wisely, where they cannot be accessed by under-aged readers.


Raine flipped over the menu and shoved the paper in front of my view. "Why are you torturing yourself?"
I flashed fang at her and she rolled her eyes. "Vamp someone else, honey. You know you can't have chocolate."
I sighed and pushed the paper out of the way. The display case was full of chocolate decadence of every grade and color. I moaned and scratched my nails against the glass. If someone would have told me becoming a vampire would have caused a recessive food allergy to develop, I would have chosen staying alive over being undead. Not that I had much choice in the first place. My mouth watered. Just one bite. I could take a nibble.
"Forget about it. The last time you did that you scared off my customers with your undead... death." Raine shooed me away, but my eyes remained fixated on my goal.
"It really sucks having a psychic friend."
"Seriously, you're going to make me quit my job if you don't stop drooling over my glass displays. Besides, you're creeping out my customers."
I sighed. She was probably right. I licked my lips and dragged my gaze away from the chocolates I'd never get to enjoy again. "I'd do just about anything to be able to eat chocolate again."
Raine shook her head, and her eyes took on that unfocused glaze I'd come to know so well. "You shouldn't have said that. Slapped fate in the face with your vow. You should be careful what you wish for."
I tucked a stray bit of hair behind my ear, unnerved by Raine's sudden loss of focus. "I really hate it when you get that creepy mystical voice thing going."
Raine's eyes refocused and she sighed. "You're going to have a visitor soon. I hope you're ready for him."
"Him?" I perked up considerably. Then a thought occurred to me. "This isn't a visited by three ghosts thing, is it?"
Raine rolled her eyes. "No. Make fun all you want, but you'll owe me for this one. Trust me."
I raised an eyebrow. "Like I owed you for the tall, dark, and dangerous man who would change my life?"
"He did! I was right, but you know how this stuff works. I couldn't see everything."
"He was a vampire, Raine."
She shushed me. "Keep your voice down and stop pretending like you're unhappy being undead. I know better."
I sighed. "Yes. I enjoy being a vampire. I just want to be able to eat chocolate. I even took Erin's suggestion and contacted the Kitchen Witch Society for help."
"Oh, that's desperate. She always talks about how much she hates her boss. Why would she suggest the society?"
"An unlifetime without chocolate is hell for this Hershey girl. She got tired of my whining." I leaned over the counter and gave her a bit of a hug. "I'll see you later tonight."
Raine hesitated a moment before holding up a finger. "Wait a second." She ducked behind the counter. I rose to my tiptoes trying to see what she was doing, but she came back up again. A burgundy bag was in her hand.
"What is this?"
"Chocolate. I've got a good feeling about this chocolate thing, so make sure you don't eat anything from this bag until you get your cure."
The edge of doubt crept into the back of my mind. "What if there is no cure?"
Raine handed me the bag. "There is. If you're willing to try for it." Raine gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."
I grinned, bag in hand, and gave another longing look toward the candy displays. "I hope it's some of the chocolate and peanut butter truffles."
Her smile told me she was up to something. "Let's just say, it might be fun to find out. Don't open it until you're given the cure."
I wasn't kidding. I'd do just about anything to be able to eat chocolate again. But a promise was a promise. "I won't open it until then." My heart ached with the likelihood of never being able to open the bag.
I put on my sunglasses and walked out of Sinful Treats. Yeah, I wear sunglasses at night. So what? Light sensitivity is big on my list of downers about this whole vampire thing.
I'd sent a message to the Kitchen Witch Society for help. How long would it take for one of their people to show up? This bag smelled delicious!

http://www.changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=1245

No comments:

Post a Comment