Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tasty Tuesday - Spanish Tortilla


I just returned from Spain. I spent 37 days walking the Camino de Santiago, 500 hundred miles from St. Jean Pied de Port, France to Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

During my trek I often enjoyed Spanish Tortilla for breakfast. The potato and egg omelet was a great way to begin a day of walking. Below is a recipe for Spanish Tortilla and I have enjoyed making it since my return. Great way to start a day of writing!

B.J. McCall

Spanish Tortilla
Ingredients:
  6-7 medium potatoes, peeled
  1 cup of shredded cheese (use cheddar, jack or a mixture)
  1 whole yellow onion
  5-6 large eggs
  2 cups of olive oil for pan frying (I cut way back on the oil)
Salt to taste

Slice the potatoes to 1/8 inch thick
Chop the onions

In a non-stick pan, sauté potatoes and onions in oil on medium to low heat. You want to cook the potatoes until a spatula breaks the slices in two.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add cooked potatoes and onion, and the cheese. Mix, coating the potatoes.
Add olive oil to non-stick pan, then add potatoes, egg and cheese mixture. Cook on medium to low heat. You want the bottom of the tortilla to brown, leaving the top still runny.

Once the tortilla has browned, you have to flip the tortilla. I using slide the tortilla onto a plate and invert the pan over it to flip the tortilla. Cook until golden brown. Take the pan off the heat and let the tortilla rest for two minutes.
Slide the tortilla onto a plate and cut like a pie to serve.

Variations: Add chopped green onion, green peppers or ham.

In Spain the tortilla is often served with a slice of baguette.
At home, I serve with salsa.

There are many recipes for Spanish Tortilla available on the internet.

Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment