Monday, May 26, 2014

Decadent Decade Monday - Game On! by Mychael Black



Today's Decadent Monday is all about the inspiration behind my newest Changeling series, DungeonCrawl. Set in the fictional game world of Timiria, DungeonCrawl follows our intrepid gamer, Elijah Burrows, as he struggles to survive in a fantasy world without the aid of a mouse or keyboard.

I've been gamer since I was a kid--like, young kid. My first system was an Atari 800. From there, I moved to the original Nintend system and the Apple IIGS desktop. Now, I do most of my gaming on my Dell laptop that handles games surprisingly well, or I use my desktop--an amalgamation of parts custom-built for gaming.

I play everything from typical casual games (usually on Facebook) to engrossing RPGs (roleplaying games), with the occasional MMO (massive multiplayer online) game thrown in for good measure. (I also love strategies and simulations.)

DungeonCrawl came about through my love of RPGs like Dragon Age, Skyrim, and the like. I often wondered what it would be like to get sucked into one of those worlds. What would I do? How would life be like in such a place? Who would I meet?

Thus, my beloved gamer, Elijah Burrows, was born. A lightning strike zaps Elijah into the world of Timiria, the land he's been exploring through the game of DungeonCrawl, as the elusive thief, Elian Surgis. Of course, things take a very interesting turn when Elijah discovers that Elian is not only part of a larger story than originally expected, but that the Coseian Shadow (as Elian is known) has a male lover.

Each story leads Elijah deeper into a plotline he'd only seen the tiniest glimpses of while playing the game. In between running for his life and meeting other 'travelers' (gamers also stuck in Timiria), he somehow finds time to learn exactly why the character of Elian Surgis fell in love with a guard captain who is much more than meets the eye.

DungeonCrawl 1: Loading, Please Wait (book 1) and DungeonCrawl 2: Patch Day (book 2) are out now. I'm currently working on book 3 (LinkDead), and we're aiming for a mid-June release, I believe.

I hope you have as much fun exploring Timiria with Elijah as I have writing it!

***





***

Call me Katherine or Mychael--I'll answer to both. I'm a mother, student, author by trade, and editor by compulsion. I've been in the publishing business for several years, namely as a writer but also as an editor on occasion. It never fails, though. I always end up editing eventually.

I'm a proud bibliophile, to which my poor sagging bookcases can attest. I read all the time, namely fantasy and romance.

When not writing or reading or editing, I...eat. Maybe sleep. Or watch Spongebob. Yes. I am a self-proclaimed, thirty-something year old Spongebob Squarepants addict. Much to my roommate's dismay. It's fun.

If you're curious about what I write (and who wouldn't be?!), then you can find me below:


No comments:

Post a Comment