Saturday, September 01, 2012

Demon hunters, oh my

Hey, y'all!

I have this thing for demon hunters. In of fashion or out, I love them. From Van Helsing to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to ghost hunters like Hans Holzer, I like them all.

I love the idea of different demons, different classes of creatures. I even like it when it crosses over into Weird Tales like HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

What I love the most, though, is the idea of tossing a fairly normal guy out into a world that has all sorts of paranormal creatures. I love giving him a sword and a book of demons and a kit with holy water and salt and saying, "Go forth and be sexy."

That's the idea behind my Keeping Score series. One Up just came out in August, with Rhys and Noah, and with Book 2, featuring Janus and Cillian. These guys just happen to be born to hunt demons, and it's a lonely life, believe me. That's why they defy all the rules to hook up with one another.

Here's a little (UNPROOFED) bit of book 2, , just to make y'all smile

So, what happened, man?”

“To what?”

“To you.” Janus snorted, the sound eerily familiar. “You decide not to shit and went blind instead?”

“That was it. I was bored one day and offered my sight in exchange for a decent blowjob.”

That was about as far from the truth as he could imagine. The truth was he didn’t want to think about what had happened any longer than he had to. That whole burning agony while he’d died and been brought back at least three times? Yeah, not something he liked to remember.

“Oh, well, you always were such a slut.”

“That’s me. Just looking for the next available asshole to fuck me over.” He was approximately eight seconds from utter hysterical meltdown.

“I’m teasing you, asshole.”

Yeah, well, that was the sucky thing about not being able to see facial expressions.

“How much longer until you deliver me wherever you’re delivering me?”

“Oh, baby, we got a long way to go.”

He let the rage pour over him, then he let it go. He’d deal with this, commit whatever chaos he needed to, then find his way back home.

Unlike the rest of these assholes, Cillian had made himself a place.

“I think you might need a hamburger. Maybe if you ate something that wasn’t gator. you’d be less bitchy.”

“That is highly unlikely.” In fact, Cillian was fairly sure he was just at the tip of the iceberg of the nastiness he was going to discover. Soon.

“Will you pull the stick out of your ass already? You think I want to be here?”

“I gave you the opportunity to walk away!” He was considering getting car sick. Not seriously, not yet, but it was bubbling up in him. He avoided cars, unless he was driving.

Of course, when he was driving, everyone avoided him.

“You know very well I can’t. That’s why you’re coming with me.”

They were just going to have this circular argument.

“Can you stop the car?”

To his credit, Janus pulled off right away, the car rolling to a stop.

“Thank you.” He staggered out, stumbling blindly over the asphalt into tall grass, heaving.

“Shit.” Janus murmured quietly behind him, finally coming to hand put a water bottle in his hand.

“Thanks.” He drank deep, swallowing hard, letting the cold water hit his empty belly. It made him queasy again for a few moments, but then the world righted itself and he could breathe again. He sucked in great lungs full of the heavy Florida air, trying to get his shit together.

The ground under his feet rumbled, and Cillian figured either a semi was going to pass soon or a demon was digging his way up from Hell.

***

You can buy book one here!

Thanks for reading y'all!

XXOO

Julia Talbot

www.juliatalbot.com

1 comment:

  1. I love demon hunters too (as well as ghost or monster hunters)! The show Supernatural is one of my favorites. :) Your hunters sound awesome; I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete