Monday, December 20, 2010

Sugarplum: The Demon's Christmas Present by Leona Grey

Sugarplum: The Demon's Christmas Present by Leona  Grey
Read an excerpt
 
 

Sugarplum: The Demon's Christmas Present

by Leona GreyCover art: ReneƩ George
ISBN: 978-1-60521-525-9
Genre(s): Paranormal, Hot Flashes
Theme(s): Christmas, Seasonal Themes
Series: Sugarplums
Length: Hot Flash

http://www.changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=1512

Blurb:

So a demon walks into a bar... No, seriously.
Peter is a wealthy, philanthropic mystery man who loves children and just happens to confess, while in a state of drunkenness, that he is, in fact, a demon. A Christmas demon, no less. Of course, he also happens to confess his burning desire for Lacey and challenges her to return to him if she thinks she can handle it. Who could say no to that? Especially when the man issuing the challenge has chocolate brown eyes, broad shoulders, and a huge heart.
Excerpt:
Sugarplum: The Demon's Christmas Present
Leona Grey
All rights reserved.
Copyright ©2010 Leona Grey

This e-book file contains sexually explicit scenes and adult language which some may find offensive and which is not appropriate for a young audience. Changeling Press E-Books are for sale to adults, only, as defined by the laws of the country in which you made your purchase. Please store your files wisely, where they cannot be accessed by under-aged readers.


She studied his home while she sat wrapped in her coat, waiting in the car for him. His house was big and old. She liked that -- it gave it a certain warmth. Of course, she liked pretty much anything old or antique, but the place really seemed to fit him. It seemed strong and warm, like him.
When he emerged from the house he was wearing a burgundy, button-up shirt and carrying a small rectangular box. He handed it to her and waited expectantly. She almost hated to unwrap it, it was so pretty. The copper and silver paper shone under the streetlight.
"The best part is inside," he prompted with a small smile. She stuck her tongue out at him and opened it. In the box was a carnelian cameo pendant on a strand of pearls. It looked to be antique. Lacey stared at it.
"Tell me this isn't real. I can't accept it if it's real."
"It's not real."
"You're lying. Look at it. It is so real."
He shrugged. "Put it on. It would make me happy for you to have it." Well, if it would make him happy... She put it on, feeling completely undeserving but at the same time not caring.
"Why are you so generous?" Such a beautiful antique couldn't have been cheap. It was not the kind of thing one generally bought on a whim. It was a gift meant for someone special. What could it mean?
His smile was a little bitter. "If I get drunk enough, I might just tell you." It took her a moment to realize he wasn't answering her mental question. Once it came to her she sat quietly while he slid behind the wheel and wondered what he meant by it. It sounded like he wanted to make up for something. Though, she supposed, it didn't matter. He was a good man, and he was sad. Her goal for this evening was to cheer him up.
"So, what kind of music do you like?"
"Anything but Christmas music."
"Yeah, they do tend to play it nonstop after Halloween. Um, what do you do for fun?" She hoped to get him talking on light subjects as they drove -- nothing he could be too serious about.
He thought a moment. "Most of the time, I like camping and hiking. Around this time of year, working with kids and getting drunk, just not at the same time."
"Okay, avoiding the subject of Christmas. Where do you go when you're camping?"
"All over, really. I look for spots that I haven't been before. I prefer the little-known ones, where you can go without seeing other people. Sometimes it takes a lot of research to find those places."
"Not much of a people person, are you?"
"No. I'm sorry. I'm not very good company. Would you like to go home?"
"No. I'd like to cheer you up. I plan to get a real smile out of you sometime tonight."
He snorted. "Good luck."
"Are you doubting me?"
"Oh, no, if anyone could do it, it's probably you."
She blushed a little at that. "That's right and don't forget it."
He did a mock salute. "Yes, ma'am."
Finding him agreeable to being cheered up, she went on making little remarks and silly jokes until they reached the bar. As she expected, it was small and afforded some privacy. What dismayed her was the amount he was drinking. He must do it a lot, because he wasn't acting nearly as drunk as he should have been.
"It takes quite a lot to get me drunk," he explained. He must have noticed the way she was looking at him. "So, tell me about you. Why did you decide on charity work?"
"It's important. I feel like I'm making a difference, and that makes me happy. Why are you involved in it?"
"I like seeing kids happy. I don't see that much with my job, and it bothers me."
"It sounds like you don't enjoy your work." She supposed it was his business, but she would never choose a job that made her unhappy, no matter how good the money was. Of course, it was what enabled him to help others, so who was she to judge?
"I don't, but it's something that needs to be done."
"Like city sanitation."
He laughed quietly. "Close enough." He watched her from the corner of his eye while he took a drink.
She had a suspicion. "Do you want to tell me about it?"
He took another drink. "I think I might. You'll probably just think I'm a rich eccentric, anyway." Another drink. "I'm Black Peter." He watched her expectantly.
"Are you a musician?"
"No, no. Knecht Ruprecht? A cert?" His sigh was exasperated. He leaned closer to her. "I'm a Christmas demon."
http://www.changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=1512

No comments:

Post a Comment