Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday Book Diver Interviews Belle and Jarod from the Memphis Heat series by Shelby Morgen and Marteeka Karland

Hello and welcome to the Saturday Book Diver! Each weekend I dive into fictional worlds to bring you interviews with a variety of sexy and intriguing characters.

This morning I’m talking to Belle and Jarod from the Memphis Heat series. We’re meeting at a cafe in Memphis, Tennessee. Even though it’s early -- just after dawn -- the breakfast crowd has already arrived. Truckers sit at the counter. A businessman sips coffee and reads the paper at a table near the window. In a corner booth, two young women share a pastry. The aroma of coffee, bacon, eggs and maple syrup fills the air. The door closes behind me, shutting out the sound of traffic -- the hum of engines and horns blowing.

I take a seat at a corner table. A waitress approaches and takes my order.

Belle and Jarod arrived a short time later. When they step in, just about everyone checks them out. They’re both tall and gorgeous. Jarod’s the quintessential cop -- tall, dark, and handsome, with muscles that show off his animal strength. Belle, a sexy redhead with big breasts and a backside that calls out to be grabbed, struts beside him.

They approach my table and after a brief introduction, we get down to business.
 
SBD: As cops I know you guys have a busy schedule, so thanks for taking the time to talk to me. I’ll be brief since I know you need to get to work. First question, how long have you two been partners?

Belle: Longer than either of us have ever been married. Though, come to think of it, that’s not saying much.

Jarod: Yes, dear. Whatever you say, dear. [aside whisper] Seems like for-fucking-ever sometimes...

Belle: I heard that.

SBD: I understand not too long ago Jarod took a bullet that should have killed him. He survived, but things have been different for him. Would you tell us about it?

Jarod: I was protecting my partner, being how she's all girly and stuff. [Belle slugs Jarod on the shoulder none-too-gently -- Jarod totally ignores her].  I went down the alley so she could take the safer route. Cause, you know, I'm kind of fond of her. Anyway, to make a long story short, big ass guy comes at me, shoots me, then launches at me. When he does, he changes into something.... not quite human. It was scary as fuck. And no, I did not squeal like a girl. I shot the son of a bitch in the face.

Belle: He’s male. He’s an idiot. Goes charging down this alley, like he’s bulletproof, and what do you know, it’s a trap. Damn lucky to get out of there alive. Oh, you mean about the other thing. That’s... uh... really not common knowledge. But yeah. He got bitten. By a werewolf. Now he’s really got a nose for police work. [Cackles maniacally...]

Jarod: *rolls eyes dramatically*

[At first it was hard to decide if these two were joking, but as the interview goes on, their sense of humor is infectious. Belle and Jarod are tough, but you can’t help liking them, not to mention the attraction between them is electric. The way he looks at her and she looks at him is nearly enough to send the book diver magic into overload. Good thing we reinforced the spell after that near disaster with Jack Frost.]

SBD: I know you two are partners, but it seems like you’re more than that. If so, how do you balance personal attraction with your duty?

Belle: We’re partners. We have each other’s backs. Being werewolves and lovers, well, that’s just made things a little more complicated.

Jarod: More complicated? That's how you describe it? Fuck, Belle! We're goddamned werewolves! The lovers part isn't new. It just isn't against regs now. Makes being a werewolf not so bad. For the most part. Though PMS is really a bitch now. Literally.

SBD: [Laughs] I can’t even begin to imagine what that’s like! What do you think is your partner’s strongest quality?

Jarod: Her loyalty. Never once did Belle mention leaving me to my own devices, even after she knew what had happened. She's been by my side since the day we first met and I intend to make her want to stay there.

Bell: Sheer male stubbornness. Man doesn’t know the meaning of the word “quit.”

[Their love for each other is obvious, especially when they talk about each other’s strengths.]

SBD: What is your partner’s greatest weakness?

Belle: Same thing.

Jarod: She's a bitch. Literally.

SBD: It’s almost time for me to go and I know you guys have a long day ahead of you, so I’ll ask one last question. Would you give us one of your favorite excerpts from Memphis Heat?

Belle: How about a sneak peek at Memphis Heat 2: Streetwise -- this section features Officer Butch Cramer and his partner, Regan “Sundance” O’Mally. (We’re in there too, just not in this scene.)
"Nothing says white trash like a street brawl."

"You think we should stop them?"

Butch Cramer munched on his steak sub, not overly concerned. "Hell no. I'm betting on the redhead."

Regan winced as the shorter blonde fisted the redhead’s braid and yanked for all she was worth. "We should call the cops."

Butch arched an eyebrow at his new partner. "We are the cops."

"You know what I mean. Kiddy cops. Child Services. We've got to do something. Look at that poor little boy. He doesn't need to see this."

Butch sighed. "You ever worked with Child Services? They've still got all their clothes on. He can't be as traumatized as a Child Services visit."

Regan turned to give him that look -- the one with the brows all squished together and the lips getting thin. The one that had led to his last divorce. “You just don’t want to do the paperwork.”

“What makes you think I’d do the paperwork? That’s what rookies are for. I’ve got seniority.” She didn’t laugh, so he sighed again, and stuffed what was left of his sub back in its paper. “You’re not going to let this go, are you.” He pointed at the couple in the alley. “You know what that kid looks like to me?”

She wrenched the door open, hand on her radio. He jumped out of the car, running after her, but the rookie was already in over her head. “Six-ninety-two, requesting backup, South Main and Vance,” he keyed as he ran after his partner -- and the couple retreating down the alley. The dead end alley. Out of sight of the main street. “Fuck.” Some days he hated being right.

“Sir?” He knew Regan saw it now, too. She was trying to keep the fear out of her voice. “What -- what do they -- what does he look like to you?”

All pretense of their scuffle gone, the blonde and the redhead turned to face them now, down on all fours, gums furled back to reveal wicked sharp teeth. The little boy dropped to the asphalt between them, bawling his eyes out. Another, older wolf moved through the pack surrounding them, scooping him up to whisk him out of harm’s way.

Butch crouched low, pistol at the ready. “Bait. He looks like bait.”

Regan’s voice went stiff and formal. “Thank you, sir. It’s been a pleasure serving with you.”

“Fuck that,” Butch swore. “I’m not going down without a fight. Whatever the hell they are, they breathe. They can still die. Aim for the eyes, and don’t stop till you run out of lead.”

“Well, at least we wouldn't have to listen to any more Sundance jokes.”


Thank you! I love sneak peeks!

Jarod and Belle received a call and had to leave, but that was a fantastic excerpt that left me wanting more. If you do too, check out  

Changeling Press

Marteeka Karland

Shelby Morgen


No comments:

Post a Comment