Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday - Mary Ellen's Sausage Rice Casserole


Sausage And Rice Casserole

Preheat oven to 350
One Pound of Sausage -- Jimmy Dean, or whatever in a roll you like for breakfast
Fry it up, crumbling it as you go.

1/2 cup of regular rice - uncooked
1 box-- use both envelopes -- dried chicken noodle soup (I use Lipton’s)
(Optional -- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce -- I think this makes it too salty so I omit this)
1 & 1/2 cups water

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into casserole dish. Cover dish and place in preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes, then check the rice and noodles. If they aren’t soft, cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve with a tossed salad.

My friend Mary Ellen brought me this dish once when I wasn’t feeling well. I liked it so much I requested the recipe. She told me it was simple, but we could only find an envelope so she tore off the flap and wrote it down. I’ve had this recipe on this envelope since 1972. We lost her to cancer in 1989.

Pat Sager
Copy Editor
Razor’s Edge Press

No comments:

Post a Comment